We did the production of Guys and Dolls at school once, and I was working on sounds.
At the start of Act II, the Hot Box dancer girls perform the song "Take Back Your Mink". I remember everyone in the sound and light box would get everything done beforehand so that they could just watch and admire. There's a bit where they rip their skirts off and it's really quite hot, in a lightly titillating way. (It's set in the first half of the 20th Century, so you can't expect much more.)
At the time, I wasn't sure if I even liked girls any more, in a general way. I liked my friend, C, but that was arguably more of a obsession than an attraction. The first time I saw the dancers rehearse that song, I was just as slack-jawed as any of the other techie guys. I think that C just happened to be in the lineup too, but she was just a part of this impossibly gorgeous mass of young women dancing and singing and looking amazing.
Every time I watch Guys and Dolls on DVD, I see that song and remember that crazy thrill of not knowing how I felt, but at the same time, knowing exactly how I felt. Ah, those good old days.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment