Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sad, and lucky.

Today, the things that make me feel sad and lucky are related to intelligence and homophobia.

I feel lucky that I am intelligent enough to have an interesting debate with people without relying on my own uninformed bigoted views. I'm able to change my mind almost entirely once proved wrong. I've never been a personal victim of homophobia (although my family's done a fairly good job of trying to rectify that...)

I feel sad that people are still homophobic, uneducated and unwilling to accept that some things are okay.

I was on Have Your Say today. I know, I know, what a horrible place to go. I read spEak You're bRanes, it's full of awful things that Daily Mail readers and interblag idiots like to say when they're not actually in front of people. So, after reading some angry statuses on Facebook about a particular debate on HYS, entitled "Should Uganda debate gay execution?" which had previously been called "Should homosexuals be executed?", to which the answer is YES, kill all the queers because they are awful. (The real answer is no, because queer people are people before being queer.)

There was a lot of "This is a ridiculous debate" comments, which was good. One went a little far, and suggested we pull aid out of Africa for having policies like that. There was a little bit of homophobic stuff on the board, but there were quite a few rejected comments, which suggests that people may have tried to post more.

My favourite comment of all suggested that homosexuality was the reason that Rome fell. Epic, epic win and fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment