Monday, September 20, 2010

Letters and numbers.

When I was applying for university, I had to write a personal statement, detailing how absolutely perfect I was for academic study. I started mine off like this:
From a young age, I have always had an interest in mathematics. Some of my earliest memories include sitting with my father practising simple arithmetic, being in a maths lesson in primary school, and the Numbers Game on Countdown!
(Yes, I was a bit of an ass. But I was 17.)

I used to adore Countdown as a child. It was my favourite thing to watch. I remember being extremely small, perhaps 4 or 5. I would wake up very early on a Saturday morning, 6:30 or so, and I remember watching Barney (yes, the purple dinosaur) and Countdown.

Richard Whiteley was like a father to me. Obviously, he was only around for an hour or so on a Saturday morning, but he was so smart and kind and led the show so well. And, there was Carol. I really wanted to be Carol, for years. In fact, when they replaced her, I did seriously consider applying for it, even though the show is based in Manchester, and there'd be no way for me to be able to actually get there on a regular basis. :p

My love of Countdown continued right through my teens, until Richard died. When I found out, I stopped watching Countdown for ages. I watched his final episode, and then I stopped watching. I couldn't imagine a Countdown without him. I honestly grieved.

I tried watching with the replacements, but eventually I gave up. They were all wrong. Richard always got the balance right. Sure, he was witty, but he was never trying to be the star of the show. It was always about the numbers and the letters, and occasionally Carol. I found some of the other hosts tried too hard to be funny, take the focus away.

I watched my first full episode of Countdown in five years today. The current host isn't too bad. There was a Northern Irish kid on the show, who was just incredible. Reminded me of a friend of mine - although I'm not sure of how good his letters are, I have no doubt he'd be killer at the numbers.

I enjoyed the new Carol, I think her name is Rachel. She's a pretty blonde Oxford graduate.

So, I might be watching a little more Countdown in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment