So, village life is pretty much dead now. Older folk everywhere lament. Woolworths is gone, there's no more local pubs (just a Wetherspoons, or a 'spoons' as the kids call it), and everything has become a hustle-bustle of city and town centre.
Where's the park? Where's the swing? Where's the town hall where they used to have the ballet classes? Where's the village school where you recognised every parent and every child?
It's sad when things change. I personally find change tough to take. But, eventually, things grow on you, and you enjoy what you have. I remember when we first got Windows Vista, and I missed the familiarity of XP. It didn't take me long to accept that Vista did have its upsides (once they fixed the larger bugs), and XP just wasn't around any more, so pining for it would have been pointless.
Similarly, the village life is/was nice. You knew everyone, everyone knew you, there wasn't the hustle and bustle and paranoia of "modern life" (whatever that means). Yet, modern living is pretty cool. We have high-speed internet. We're connected to the whole world ALL THE TIME. We have music from all over the world, we have experiences and lives from all sorts of places. We have less time, granted, and we have to make much more of an effort to keep hold of ourselves, but I don't think that's too much of a problem.
Saying you miss the "good old days" is a little like saying "I wish I could have something back that doesn't suit modern society." If village life was the best way to do life, we'd either be there right now, or we'll revert back to it eventually anyway.
Ways of living change. Find things that are good about today; don't dwell in your village green past.
(Unless you're the Kinks, and you're making a kick-ass album.)
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment