Saturday, July 11, 2009

This might be weird, but...

When I was twelve, I wanted to have a disco for my birthday to herald the Beginning Of My Teenage Years. I shared it with two other girls (neither of whom I talk to at all anymore).

Despite the fact that my mother had done most of the work, everyone mostly thought it was their party, and it was also mine - like I was a afterthought.

A boy called Daniel was in my class, and I'd always thought he was someone I'd like to be arranged to marry, if I was unfortunate enough to be 35, unmarried, and desperately wanting a family. His dad was English and his mom was Jamaican, so he had the most gorgeous hair and skin, and I just quite liked him. Never seriously, just as a "Well, it would be perfect, if it wasn't for the complete lack of chemistry."

At the birthday party, he brought one present. It was for me. It was a kilogram of Cadbury's Whole Nut, which is my all-time favourite chocolate bar.

How did he know it was my favourite? He must have known I liked it, for chocolate is a risky buy given that so many kids don't deal with nuts well, and Whole Nut is about as risky as it gets.

For a long time, I read this simple gesture as his way of telling me that he felt exactly the same way as I did, and that eventually we will marry and have a loving and completely non-sexual relationship.

I still don't know what the chocolate meant. I still think to ask him, but he would probably be very freaked out that I still think of that moment seven and a half years ago, when I was shy and unattractive, and he was the quiet boy with the curly hair in the back of the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment