Sure, we're all connected to Kevin Bacon, apparently, in six steps or less. Meh. My ex, a self-confessed man-whore, has dated a woman who slept with Russell Brand, so I'm sure I'm pretty close with that.
What I find really weird is when I find myself forming two completely distinct social groups, and then realising there's a link between them...
Example the First: the aforementioned ex, and my current boyfriend.
I met the ex through a friend I met in a chatroom. It's an excellent story (sort of). I was 15 (ish), he was 22 (ish) but I think he shaved off a couple of years so I'd keep talking to him. Ha. We talked, we talked more, and we almost ended up together. But one fateful LiveJournal entry stopped that from happening... The ex thing happened - we all know that story - and I met David at university. Given his spartan approach to friendmaking (keep very few around you, but make them AWESOME) I didn't expect the manwhore to be connected to him at all.
Ex knows Jo, I have no idea how. They probably just met or slept together. Jo is the sister of Hagrid, Hagrid being O's significant figure, and O being a school friend, and regular friend, of David.
Freaked me out when Facebook alerted me to this!
My other examples are not quite so cool, but still a little bit weird.
School connecting with debating. Do not like. School wasn't horrendous - I wasn't bullied, or beaten - it was just... a bit crap. University's bringing out the best in me, and school brought out the worst. Regarding the people from school, I'm partly sad and partly not... I only talk to two people from school regularly. It's reaffirmed what I always thought about most of my schoolfriends; we we friends because of proximity, and lack of another clique to join. It wasn't really much due to who I am as a person, otherwise they would have kept me.
Anyway!
Debater, Claire. Lives in Rootes with Minch, a boy who was in my Latin class, ignored me most of the time and was slightly snarky with me the rest of the time. He took a gap year, travelled the world, came to the same uni as me to study Classics. I saw him the other day, and we just muttered hi and walked away. I wasn't ignored, I wasn't fully acknowledged. I was quite happy. :p
Debater, Ed. Has a (cute!) girlfriend, Jess, who is friends with Caroline, a girl I actually did quite like at school. Couple years younger than me, but fun to hang out with in the school hours when we just happened to be in the same area. Ed does live within 10 miles of me, so I guess it was to be expected. :)
Facebook told me all about these lovely connections I have with people. My ideal situation of having empty intersections between sets of friends (I don't count myself as being a person linking groups here) has been somewhat sledgehammered to bits and then put into cake, and nommed by David, who likes the nom.
Oh well. Given that I've not got very much left to hide anyway, I don't think it's a problem anymore.
Saturday, December 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment