Sunday, March 22, 2009

ITV - epic fail.

I don't watch ITV often. I don't think that there's anything on there that I would try and find to watch. I realised the other day that "The World At War", a really good documentary about World War II was ITV's brainchild. This was in the 70s though, back when TV was generally good and not generally crap.

My friend Lucy has decided to boycott ITV for one of its latest offerings - Moving Wallpaper, a "comedy" show. This episode centred around a new trans writer, Georgina, arriving and causing tensions in the group.

First of all, it's not funny at all. Even the bits where they weren't horribly transphobic were not even enough to make me smile. I will admit, I'm not the type to laugh-out-loud at every single gag in a show, but I always find myself smiling when I get why it's funny.

It was also ridiculously offensive. It's the kind of stuff that comedy writers always do when they can't think of anything else - choose a minority group that it's okay to pick on at the time. They did it with women, they did it with black people, and now they're doing it with trans people. I don't define as trans, but I know a lot of my friends do and I think we could pretty much all agree that that episode was a perfect 101 on how not to treat a transwoman.

A few of my friends have written in and complained. Quite right too. It's just... argh! It's awful. If that is all that ITV have left to offer to our screens, then it's no wonder they're losing money.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, the boycott is failing. I'm kinda not in charge of the remote very often.

    ReplyDelete