Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mother's eating and cooking philosophy... sort of.

I took a nap today at 4:30pm. I was SHATTERED. My scout'n'buy play with Tom, added with the cheesecake, really wiped me out. That, and I slept for 6.5 hours last night.

So, I wake up at about 6pm, and I smell that eggy chips were made while I slept. I don't mind - I have beef to cook for my dinner a little later. I casually mention this to mom, who says "We cooked a lot time ago" pointedly, as if taking a nap is a crime. Which, it clearly is.

Mom asks me why I am waiting to cook; why don't I cook now, or why didn't I cook earlier? I told her I wasn't hungry earlier. She then implied that my wanting to cook and eat straight afterwards was odd - she used the example of Sunday dinner to show how you cook and then you just do whatever you like before eating. I pointed out that with a large quantity of different foodstuffs, like you would have in a Sunday meal, it makes sense to give yourself time in between the cooking and the consumption, in case something happens, or you mistime. It's not exactly going to be a problem with pasta and bolognese.

She just shrugs me off, which irritates the debater in me. Don't back away from the debate, challenge me!

Then, I ask her why she thinks it's so weird to want to eat food freshly cooked.

She says, "It's not weird exactly, it's just the students' way of doing it."

Whut? O_o

1 comment:

  1. When you grow older, you'll start to realise the appeal of stale food. Put in more effort for less reward!

    ReplyDelete